Nitrous oxide sedation has helped millions of people overcome their anxieties. It is safe, effective and the most trusted of all dental relaxation techniques. Nitrous oxide (N2O) is simply a gas which you can breathe in. It has no colour, smell, and doesn’t irritate.
Common Dental Fears:
- Fear of Pain
- Insufficient Freezing
- Loss of Control
- Sound of the Drill
- Needle Phobia
What Are The Advantages Of Nitrous Oxide?
- Nitrous oxide works very rapidly – it reaches the brain within 20 seconds.
- The depth of sedation can be altered from moment to moment.
- There’s no “hangover” effect – the gas is eliminated from the body within 3 to 5 minutes after the gas supply is stopped. You can safely drive home and don’t need an escort.
- No injection is required. In cases of very severe needle phobia, getting laughing gas first can help you feel relaxed enough to allow the needle required for IV sedation.
- Inhalation sedation is very safe.
- Inhalation sedation has been found to be very effective in eliminating or at least minimizing severe gagging.